Patrick and I have a bet going as to when the babies are going to come. After my little vay-cay in the hospital, we've been pretty much convinced that they could come at any moment. My contractions have been picking up despite the higher dose of Procardia AND the addition of P17 shots that are meant to stave off preterm labor. Every week at my OB appointment I get nervous because I think he's going to check my cervix, tell me I'm dilating, and send me to the hospital. But every week he checks me, tells me my cervix is still closed, praises how well I'm doing, and sends me on my way.
So my money has been on next Thursday, April 25. I'll be 36 weeks, have a checkup and ultrasound appointment that day, and it's a full moon. Again, I've been telling myself that I'm going to go to the appointment, U/S is going to show a short, dilating cervix, and they're going tell me it's time. Patrick thinks the cervix check and full moon are going to put me into labor for the next day, April 26. After today's appointment, though, which showed still no cervical change, I'm really starting to think that I might make it to my scheduled date! My doctor thinks I'll make it... barring the random rupture of membranes.
We'll have to see what happens over the next few days. Patrick came down with an upper respiratory virus a couple days ago. It only lasted about three days- he told me he felt like he was getting sick Monday night, I made him go to the Redi-clinic Tuesday so they could treat him before it got serious, they told him he had a fever and it's a virus, he was miserable Tuesday night, missed work Wednesday, better by last night, and back to work today. He's pretty much just been dealing with a nasty cough. I was really hoping I wouldn't catch it, but I woke up this morning with that pre-sick scratchiness in my throat. I've upped my vitamin C intake in an effort to help fight it off. The last thing I want is to get sick right now. I would be devastated if my water broke during a coughing fit and I had to deliver them early, while sick, and be unable to see or care for them because of my illness. I did tell my doctor about it this morning, though, and he acknowledged that it was going around and told me that if I do catch it, just take Tylenol and Mucinex as needed and I should be fine. I'm praying it just goes away.
I must say, I'm pretty damn proud of my body! It may have given me a really hard time getting pregnant, but it's doing an amazing job now that I am.
We have everything we need ready for these babies. The nursery still needs some finishing touches that I haven't been able to do while on bed rest, but they won't be sleeping in there at first so we have some time to get it done. All their clothes, bedding, and fabric stuff has been washed. Stuffed animals and soft toys have been steamed (our washer and dryer have a really nifty steam sanitizing feature for non-washable fabric items). Strollers, rock&plays, bassinets, cribs, changing stations, and car seats are all assembled and ready. Bags are packed. Hospital checklist hung on bathroom and back doors. We are ready!
Now we wait.